Sunday, June 1, 2008

What's In A Name



It's hard to believe that this is my 4th year playing Kickball, and 3rd year coaching the team.  Without really trying it has become an yearly tradition to rename the team.  The first year the team name was Miscellaneous Deductions....not my idea.  The first thing I did was change the name to Cobra Kai, a strong name for sure.  This name invoked fear into our opponents, because not only did they know they didn't have an elderly Japanese Gentleman to help them, but they didn't have nearly enough heart or luck to pull off a "Daniel Larusso", everyone knows 99 times out of 100 he loses that tournament.

The next year after going through what could be called my "Ron Burgundy Phase" we wound up with Sex Panther, by Odeon.  While the name was alright, lets face it, it was a one trick pony.

So this year when it came time to name the team I went back to basics.  I needed something strong, something that put fear into the hearts and minds of the other team but at the same time gave us a certain style and grace, in a word I needed....Swayze.  But which masterpiece from "The Swayz's" catalog could to this?  After about 2 seconds of thought I decided it could only be Road House.  From The Swayz's seemingly limitless ass kicking ability, his perfect hair, his ability to pick up Emergency Room employee's, and being impervious to pain, we had to go this way and I think you will agree.

So the T-Shirts are in, and since I picked them up on Friday I have been wearing each and every one of the 20 shirt to try and get a "feel" for them.  I think it will help bring me closer to every team member, so when I look across the field and lock eyes with any given teammate I can say to myself "Hey, I know what it's like to walk a mile in their shirt, I know what it's like to sweat like a hog in that shirt.  I know what it's like to use public bathroom, after public bathroom in that shirt.  I know what it's like to eat ribs and use that shirt as a napkin.  I know what it's like to watch Cinimax after midnight on a Friday night in that shirt." 

So I can't wait unitl Friday, stay tuned for more posts this week for more details.


No comments: